Saturday, March 24, 2012

It's Always With Me

I promised this post on Twitter a few days ago - sorry it's a couple days late - busy week!

"It's Always With Me" by Susan Glasgow
Photo source

This weekend, while I was home in St. Louis on spring break, my mom took me to the Craft Alliance in the Delmar Loop to see their biennial teapot exhibition, this year titled, "Hot Tea" after one of the whimsical pieces featured in the collection.
"Hot Tea" by Dixie Biggs

I snapped some pictures on my mom's phone so that I can share my favorite ones with you! (The more professional-looking photos are from the Craft Alliance website.)

Some of the pieces are actually usable teapots, while others are sculptures inspired by teapots. As the currator explained, even the most abstract ones contain elements of the teapot: maybe a rounded body, or perhaps a handle or spout. Each teapot and sculpture is for sale - mind you, for quite a chunk of change. But these are some gorgeous works of art, so it's no surprise that the prices range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars!

The exhibit was lovely, and I had a great time perfecting my, "I'm a highly experienced teapot-inspired-art critic" face - one eyebrow raised, thumb and forefinger stroking my chin, slowly nodding. Makes me look smart.

Like I said, I've posted some of my favorites below. But I highly recommend going to see the exhibit for yourself - it's open through April 22nd, so pop on over to the Craft Alliance as soon as you can! You can check out their website here for hours, contact information, and the address. There's also a Facebook page, and you can check them out on Twitter at @CraftAlliance. 

"Heart Teapot: Internal Combustion" by Richard Notkin

"Olive Teapot" by Kliss Glass
Photo source

"Peace Teapot" by Eric Serritella
(Fun fact: that's not made of wood! It's ceramic, faux bois)

"Secret of Tea" by Qun Liu

1 comment: