Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ta-da!

Hey guys! Guess what....




I did the candle craft! It was really quite fun, and turned out to be incredibly simple (the best kind of craft). Natasha, Laura, and I got together on Friday night in Laura's kitchen and went at it, with some dollar store candles and some adorable teacups the two of them found for a dollar each at a local antique store. The candles were vanilla scented and already a pretty creamy color, so we didn't add an essential oil or any crayon bits. 


We tried our best not to disturb the teacups after pouring the wax, but it was nearly impossible when someone invaded the kitchen to make a pizza in the oven.


Now, I know you're all excited to see the finished product. Please don't judge! We did pretty darn good for our first try, I think.

These are all shots of the same candle. We made four in all, putting one into the silent auction basket and each keeping one. I didn't get pics of the rest!



See the weird spot in the wax? We can't figure out why that happened. All of them turned out with slightly uneven surfaces, but mine actually has a sinkhole in the middle. If you know any theories of thermodynamics that may explain this phenomenon, please feel free to post them in the comments.



Anyway, we were all three rather pleased with our pretty creations - my sinkhole will disappear when I use the candle! Of course, I can't do that until I'm home from school for the summer. Just having an unlit candle in your dorm room is a big no-no!

But I digress. Big shoutout to Domestiquette for the sweet tutorial. I'll definitely be doing this again! In my next post, I'll search out some other crafts or creative tea-related projects. 


No comments:

Post a Comment